Thursday, July 24, 2008

Yukon living.

I am still here, still grey, but working on it. In the meantime, twobuyfour asked me a question. I love questions! They give me something to talk about!! "Do you like where you live? Why do you live there?"
I do like where I live. For the most part, I love it here. I like the uniqueness of the people, the land around me, and the attitudes I encounter daily. In the summer (not this summer, more on that later) the days get looooong. Today, the sunrise was at 5:24 AM, and sunset will be 10:49 PM. The twilight on either end means that it doesn't quite get dark, ever. Well, it might, but not while I'm awake! June 21, summer solstice, the sun came up 4:25 AM and set 11:37 PM. Lovely. It is usually hot and dry here in the summer, but not too hot. If you like outdoors type things, the Yukon is your place. Lakes, mountains, and true wilderness are everywhere.
In the winter, it is cold. And dark. No sense lying, I hate it then. The sun is only up from 10 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon, and it doesn't get very high. I go to work in the dark, I come home in the dark. It can be very cold. We expect at least one week of -30 weather, or worse. -20 is not as bad as it sounds. However, the colder it is outside, the brighter blue the sky is, clear and sharp, reflecting the brilliant snow. If you don't have to go outside, it is gorgeous!
My children were born here, as was their father. I love knowing that when they go to school, I will know most of their teachers personally, and they will never have to survive a huge high school. We have excellent programs, arts, culture, and activities for youth.
What don't I like? I hate that I cannot shop. As a "plus size" woman, I have ONE store to shop from. Food trucks sometimes are late, meaning the grocery options can get limited. Every once in awhile, I wish I lived someplace where I didn't run into people I know at every turn. I would like to be anonymous. As a teacher, I know that my every move is public knowledge. I miss malls. Holidays here begin with the costly trip "out". And I despise the cold and dark. I tend to suffer from depression, and living without sunshine makes me cranky. Normally, I "store up" sunshiney happiness all summer, and that thought keeps me going through November, January, and February. (December is Christmas. My other great love in life.) This year, though, has been horrid. We even made the weather news! Everywhere else in Canada is enjoying record highs. Us? Not so much. It's cold and rainy, very odd for the Yukon. For a semi-arid climate, it sure feels wet right now!
Why do I live here? This is Hubby's home. We have just bought our first house. We have jobs. That last one is crucial. With two small children, we no longer feel able to just pick up and follow the wind. The jobs are good, and we have a life here. Not to say we won't ever move, but for now, this is it.
I swear, though, if it keeps raining, I'm running away from home.

4 comments:

twobuyfour said...

It sounds like you're happy. Do you have pictures of your beautiful blue sky or pleasant summer?

It also sounds like I could only tolerate your beautiful town for short times during the summer. I've had my fill of small towns. They're great for raising kids, but I miss the big city and better weather of a more temperate, (populate) region.

Anonymous said...

when you run I am running with you. seriously I am so cranky with no sunshine...winter will be long to to to long...
and the lack of malls/descent stores is why I online shop ALOT.
as for why I stay my hubby would not dream of moving anywhere else (damn him and his mother...)

Anonymous said...

Yukon Mom,
Love your blog & thanks for dropping by mine. I totally hear ya about liking the anonymity of larger centres, I'm the same way. But I guess living in the Yukon makes up for that a great deal.
I'll keep reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya sista! I swear after 32 winters here I may just actually go insane if the freakin' sun doesn't come out!