Sunday, January 16, 2005

a bad, bad day.

This week it was cold here in the frozen north. I thought I was dealing pretty well with it, until Wednesday. That was the day I realized:
I had 7 diapers.
I had enough formula for another 24 hours.
It was -45 C outside.
The water truck would not be delivering, since the water would just freeze on the way into the house.

Put it all together, and what do you get? A day where cloth diapers make their debut. The Boy Terror would be weaned to whole milk, please oh please god may he not be lactose intollerant. The car wouldn't go, even if I was willing to pack 2 kids into the car for an hour long trip. And, the icing on the cake, no water truck means no laundry, so no washing the cloth diapers filled with the results of changing to whole milk!!!

It's okay. It's all okay. I live in a place where thankfully, people help. Another teacher brought me diapers and formula on her way into school the next morning. The water truck managed to thaw out for a few hours, and I was on his list of "urgently needs water". I had offers from the police officers in town to have diapers delivered the next time they had to run into the city. I had a friend willing to babysit if I wanted to attempt to go to town on my own in the cold. I am so lucky to have these wonderful people! Or, they just didn't want to see me explode and freeze into shards of ice!

2 comments:

SouthernMom said...

Or...maybe they didn't want to smell the soiled cloth diapers! I can't imagine living where you do! I know I would freeze to death. I thought I was going to freeze my fingers off yesterday morning, and it was a downright balmy (compared to you) 16 F here. You are one brave woman, and very lucky to have friends to help you out in a pinch!

Elizabeth said...

I love how nice people are in small towns.

How amazing you are, I think I would have been sitting on my living room floor, crying.