- You design your Halloween costumes to fit over a snowsuit.
- Many of your friends have elaborate saunas, but no running water.
- Your tires are only round in summertime.
- You have 10 favorite recipes for moose meat.
- Every street person you see in
looks like a neighbor. Vancouver
- You've taken your kids trick-or-treating in a blizzard.
- Driving is better in the winter because the potholes get filled with snow.
- At least twice a year, the kitchen doubles as a meat processing plant.
- When hiking, you can't decide whether to load your shotgun with slugs to protect from bears or #7 shot to repel mosquitos.
- You think the start of moose season is a national holiday.
- You frequently clean grease off your barbecue so the bears won't prowl on your deck so often.
- You send Christmas gifts of your precious premium moose jerky to your uncle in
, and he gives it to his dog, who rolls in it. Toronto
- The mayor greets you on the street by your first name.
- The only flower you can grow outside a greenhouse is fireweed.
- There is only one shopping mall in town.
- While canoeing on the
Yukon Riveryou automatically say "Guten Tag" to all passing canoeists.
- You buy an umbrella while visiting
and have to read the instruction manual. Vancouver
- You find -60 degrees a mite chilly.
- You visit a beach at a Mexican resort and go into sexual shock.
- When someone says "The Nations' Capital" you instinctively picture First and Ogilvie (site of the liquor store)
- You can drive from
to Faro with a litre of ice cream in the back seat,and it is harder when you arrive than when you left. Whitehorse
- You attended a formal event in your best clothes, your finest jewels and your
- You can play road hockey on skates.
- You know the 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction. You freak out whenever you see prices for food in
grocery stores because everything is so cheap. Vancouver
- You were once knocked down and run over by a dog team on main street.
- Your freezer breaks down but nothing thaws.
- You visit a friend in
dressed in your best and he says he keeps smelling wood smoke. Vancouver
- You have to wait until to light your fireworks because that's the dimmest part of the day on July 1.
- You wear sandals in June, and walk around the snow piles because if you don't wear them now, you never get the chance.
- You drive to and from work in the dark.
- You suspect that many men are carrying a full day's worth of frozen survival rations in their beards.
Saturday, January 22, 2005
You know you're a Yukoner when...
Posted by AverageMom at 1:06 PM