Friday, December 02, 2005

Adventures in Beauty.

I got my eyebrows waxed yesterday. It was a first for me, since I'm not a very brave person and I'm totally against pain. However, my hairdresser (I got a haircut, too) assured me it wouldn't hurt a bit. Turns out, she has absolutely no pain receptors in her face. My thought was that I would start with the eyebrows, and depending on how that went, perhaps next time I'd go for the upper lip, and eventually work up to the bikini line. Not that I wear a bikini, but you know. Just because.
Well. That won't be happening. You might not know this, but ripping hair out of your face by the roots? It hurts. Mother of god, it hurts! Yet, I stayed prone on the table, taking deep breaths, while the chipper lady did the second eye. Then, I smiled and made polite chitchat while she took the tweezers (!!!) to finish up. Yup, after tearing off chunks of my eyebrows in quick rips, she then pulled out the hair that resisted, was strongly rooted, one by one. I know I'm a wimp, but I think they should offer complimentary shots of tequila with the hair removal service.
Men don't seem to do these things. You never see guys using hot wax to rip out offending hair. They don't smear all sorts of chemical stews on their faces in hopes of erasing all signs of aging. They don't shave any more of their body than is absolutely required, and in fact they seem to think the hairier their legs, they more manly they must be. I can only imagine what would happen if men had to wax their nether regions. I suspect they would need at least a week of sick days to recover. And that's just for the poor salon employee who did the actual wax smearing/hair ripping.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have lurked on your site for some time now. I love your blog!

Thought I would comment on this one becuase I too HATE getting my eyebrows waxed. Funny thing is -- I think the eyebrows hurt more than the bikini. I'm not talking whole enchilada, turn over bikini, but just the line isn't too bad. I know it sounds strange. Of course tequila helps too.uxywqodl

--irishbelle

Anonymous said...

I love getting it done and love how it looks. The first time I was a bit apprehensive and kept anticipating the ripping of skin and hair. I still do, but it's not so bad. She immediately puts an antiseptic on it and then lotion. If you have the right person doing it, it's great!

Maria said...

I stated getting my eyebrows waxed about 10 years ago and yep it hurts but I love how it looks afterwards. I t's never comfortable but I think the first time is always the worst.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I hear it feels good going on, though.

Sleeping Mommy said...

I wish I could get it done more often--I need it, it's worse doing it all with the tweezers at home. Trust me.

And once when I got mine done, my husband was with me and he got his done. Yeah he hasn't gone back. He bled. But then he's a redhead and has sensitive skin--bleeds very easily.

carmilevy said...

A couple of years ago, I volunteered to have my legs waxed at a big company picnic as part of a fundraising effort. They thought it would be fun for a guy to submit to the ritual waxing. So I stepped forward, figuring I'd be a good sport about it.

Well, the shin part went well. I didn't feel a whole lot as they ripped off the strips. Everyone laughed, tossed bills my way, and we raised $250 in less than 10 minutes.

Then they tried to go higher. One of the strip-pullers had had a little too much to drink. She caused me more pain than that motorist who broadsided my bicycle all those years earlier. I finally stopped her before she embarrassed herself - and hurt me - any more.

Total tally: $350. Worth it to help out those in need.

But, no, I'll never do it again.

Mrs. Falkenberg said...

Well see, Sleeping Mommy, that can be my excuse. I'm a red head. I did bleed!! Doesn't everybody?! And yes, Hoss, it feels good going on. It's the coming off part that makes me see stars!

Twisted Cinderella said...

I hardly ever bleed getting my eyebrows done. Sometimes when they pull out those stubborn ones with the tweezers I do though. It hurts like heck but I love how it looks.

Prego said...

The only waxing I do is "Wax on, big circle. Wax off, little circle."

Fortunately, nature hasn't made me hirsute. One of my hockey teammates actually has to shave his torso. He was walking with his wife in the mall wearing a tank-top and overheard teenage girls saying "Ew."

J&J's Mom said...

I'm thinkin' electolysis might be the better deal!! I have very little hair and shave about once a month (legs) because the hair is so fine...THANK GOD!! I couldn't stand the torture! Does it feel anything like a pimple on the inside of your nose??? LOL!