Sunday, May 20, 2007

Yard sale plans

I am trying to get ready for a yard sale next week. The idea is good....sell all the crap so I don't have to pack it and move it into my new house. In reality, it's not going so smoothly.
Hubby is a collector. A pack rat. A man attached to his belongings. His contribution to the yard sale so far has been "Do not sell any of my stuff. Do NOT." Well, it's mainly his stuff that falls into the "crap I don't want to move" camp. Do we really need multiple copies of "The Hobbit"? It's a good book, but a person can only read one copy at a time! Other things I don't think we need to keep include a homemade trebuchet, swords, various pieces of armor, 4 long boxes of comics, many, many boxes of role-playing books, clothes he hasn't worn for years, chainmail making stuff, 3 pairs of winter boots (he's a Yukoner. He wears the same shoes year round.) and an old printer. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
If any of you have a way to get him out of the house next Saturday, I'm open to suggestions. He needs to be gone for at least a few hours while I unload this crap!

4 comments:

Dreama said...

Ah, yard sales - can't wait to unload some of my stuff at mine...hoping to have a multi-family one in a few weeks. I have NO trouble parting with a lot of my stuff...tired of packing and unpacking it !!

Talk to one of your hubby's friends and see if they will take him fishing or something for the day...then sell all his stuff and he won't even know its gone until it's too late...

Anonymous said...

I suggest leaving his items alone, some people love their stuff. For some reason he does not want to part with these items... memories or sentimental reasons.

Anonymous said...

As a packrat myself, and the sibling of a packrat who has many of the same interests as your husband, I say you need to listen to him when he says don't sell his stuff. It's his stuff, not really yours to do with as you will.

However, by the same token--you could inform him that since it's HIS stuff, he has to pack and move it. That might shake him loose from some of it, and at least lets you off the hook for the packing etc. If you can make it stick that you won't move it. . .

Anonymous said...

Hi AM--now, I'm with you. I tend to want to get rid of things once they're used (laugh)! But really, it's good to let go of some possessions and move on gathering new ones!