Monday, July 11, 2011

We are back!!  The trip was great.  Not as great as it should have been, but still a success.  We had to change our plans slightly due to washed out roads, and eight days is possibly most probably definitely too long to spend with my mother-in-law.  The weather was not always cooperative, but we managed to get outside every day to hike or explore the beaches.  If you haven't been to Haida Gwaii, I can't recommend it enough!  It is absolutely gorgeous!  Here, I took some pictures:

You should know that in order to get that second shot, I had to haul my ass up a mountain.  Well, a really big hill.  With a fantastic boardwalk pathway.  But still!!  It was tough!  The Terrors wanted to do it "again, again!" and asked every day if we could hike Tow Hill again, but I said no.  I didn't want them to get too tired.
 

The ferry ride was fine on the way over, even though we didn't see any whales or dolphins.  The trip back, however, was the stuff of nightmares.  I wasn't too bothered, since I get seasick every time I step on a boat, but the rest of my family was not prepared to turn themselves inside out for seven hours.  Oh, except Boy Terror.  He was bored.  NOT sick.  Bored.  Hubby, Girl Terror and I were in no shape to entertain him.  The crew was very clear....sit down, and hold on.  He ended up watching two movies, and trying to ignore the puking around him.

My mother-in-law was very happy to see us.  She's alone now, and I think she's very lonely.  We played games in the evenings, we hung around in the mornings, and in the afternoons we went exploring and she waited patiently for us to come home.  Still, though, if you know her..... Eight days is a loooong time.  Probably too long for ANY mother-in-law visit, never mind the insane ones.
Lucy the Dog was thrilled to have us home.  She had a very nice friend of the family staying here with her and Scipio the Cat, but she wasn't very welcoming.  She apparently whined and howled all through the night.  EVERY NIGHT.  The good news is, we still have a friend.  Bad news, we need to find another willing housesitter.
How's your summer going?  Any great plans?  Or are you going to be like me, and attempt to be One With the Beach for the next month?

3 comments:

koreen (aka: winn) said...

I don't know how you did it.... the mother-in-law thing scares me! :D

Glad you had a great trip though, and glad you're back safe.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Eight days sounds like a dream... our visit with the mother in law last year was over 3 weeks. Not pretty.

Busy times hit me now! Off to Inuvik and then northern BC for family visiting. Covering a lot of ground in just three weeks!

Enjoy the sun!

Carole said...

A place I've always wanted to visit. Wow! I did make it to Gabriola Island and Telegraph Cove four years ago. It's all so magical.

PS: So glad you're back!