Monday, April 22, 2013

Student teacher is teaching me to watch and listen. She has a tough job.

I have a student teacher for the next 5 weeks.  This is a new experience for me, which is always awesome!  I hope to learn from watching someone else interact with my students, and hopefully pick up some tips.  I remember my practicum, and it was a huge eye-opener into the world of daily teacher life.  It made me sooo excited to get into my own classroom.
So far, I've discovered that I am a control freak.  I might have issues.  I'm possessive, and controlling, and uptight.  Did I mention the control thing??  Oh my god.  I'm giving up control, and it hurts hurts hurts.  I'm bossy, and I want to leap up and take control.  Obviously I haven't done that, since it would be defeating the entire point.  Poor student teacher would have to go back to university and say "I wanted to teach the class.  I really did.  But the Teacher kept interrupting and taking over, and totally ruined my lesson plans."  The other student teachers would feel sad for her, and my name would be written in some secret book of "Horrible Mentor Teachers - Avoid!!"
I might have to find a way to sit on my hands, and tape my mouth shut.  She's doing a fantastic job, and it will be a good lesson to me to learn to shut up and listen.  But.....it's just so haaaarrrrrdddddd!!

1 comment:

koreen (aka: winn) said...

I do the same with Evan. I can't help it. That's NOT the way you butter toast!!! Okay, deep breath... I can do this... I really can. (Help me!!!)