Friday, May 20, 2005

Northern redneck.

I never really thought of myself as a redneck before, but all the signs are there. I took both my kids shopping yesterday. To the liquor store. Why don't those carts have seats in them like at the grocery store?! So yeah, there I was, two grubby looking kids sitting in the cart, one holding a bottle of Kahlua, the other hugging a four pack of Guinness Draft. Redneck city.
Boy Terror has tin foil on his window. Doesn't that just scream "redneck" to you? But it's a necessary evil. The sunrise now is 5:05 am and sunset is 10:49 pm. It's dusk/dawn for another couple hours on either side of that. If the sun is shining, we must get out of bed, right?! I foolishly taught Girl Terror the same words my mother taught me. "The birdies are all in their little nests. Night-night, birdies. Time for me to go to my nest, too!" Hmmph. The damn birdies must take brief naps between 2 and 3 am, because other than that they are just twittering away.
I know I should love the sun. And I do. It is wonderful here in the summer. The days are long, I have tons of energy, and everyone is in a great mood. But still, if I am going to be a redneck, shouldn't I live....south? Who ever heard of redneck Inuit? If you have snow furniture sitting outside your igloo, are you a northern redneck? I haven't seen any fuzzy dice hanging from a dogsled yet, but I'm sure there must be an equivalent. True, a "fancy" restaurant here is one that has cloth napkins on the tables. "Snobby" wine is anything that doesn't come out of a box. And most of my neighbors scoff at meat surrounded by plastic wrap. Maybe I am closer to being a redneck than I thought!

11 comments:

J&J'sMom said...

Hey as long as they aren't dressed in baby t's and diapers...you can't call yourself or your kids rednecks! Now if your terrors first word was Walmart...that's another story!

Come by for a cupa...I have an ego booster for you ;0)

Angie said...

I have always wanted to see a midnight sun. In Europe I learned this may not be a good thing. Sun up at 5 am, sun sets at near 11 pm. I think I really need the 10 - 12 hours of darkness. I am visiting via J&J's Mom. I'll be back when I have time to read more. Have a great weekend.

Paul said...

I envy the sunrise and sunset shots I could capture in your neck of the woods. However I don't envy the snow, the cold or having my pee freeze before it hits the ground mid winter. Would I be brave enough to try I wonder. I think you are still far from a red neck and then I firmly believe that even they get a bum wrap. I wouldn't give it much though as J&J's mom mentioned seeing as neither of your kids is named Cooter! :) I am here via her site!

cheers

P.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Redneck is a state of mind. It knows no geographical boundaries. I'm afraid taking the kids in the liquor store might automatically qualify you. How many people saw you? Maybe you can keep it quiet and be a closet redneck!

Dawn said...

There is nothing wrong with being a redneck......I think we all feel that way sometimes:)

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Well, T., you got a good start, showin' yer kids the finer things of life. But unless you got a gun rack and Copenhagen in your 4x4's jockey box, and you Momma been hit by a train, you far short of being redneck. Maybe pinkie.

You growin' Matanauska cabbage?

melodyann said...

Ya gotta also eat lots of pinto beans and cornbread to be a redneck. There has to be a tire, somewhere in your yard, with flowers growing out of it. Your yard needs to not be mowed for a month or so, and your feet have to be calloused and dirty from goin' barefoot....

SquareSlant said...

You crack me up! I find this Yukon stuff truly interesting! Such long days in summer would be great - but don't know if I could handle the short days in winter.

honestyrain said...

ah yes, the northern redneck. prettier than it's southern counterpart but just as scarey ;)

Jamie Dawn said...

You don't have to live in the South to be a redneck; it's a state of mind. Anyone with kids has ventured into redneck territory at some time or another...some just choose to stay there!

Raehan said...

Tammy, Do you have a favorite post from your own blog. I'm collecting in a recent post and would like yours.