Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Cooking.

So far today, I have been a good little dieter. I avoided putting whipped cream on my coffee. I did not eat the wonderfulness that is cheese at lunch, instead I had a boring salad. Figuring I was on a roll, I decided to make a good, homemade supper. You may recall, I do not cook. Really. So a meal from scratch is a big deal to me. I decided to try out a new recipe from a magazine, and worked myself into a lather, with the chopping, dicing, stirring, and all those other kitchen related activities. It seemed to be a lot of work for one meal, but I kept reassuring myself that the end result would be worth it. Think of the health benefits! No pre-packaged, sodium filled cop-out for us! I could be little Miss Homemaker, I just knew it! I was doing it for the well-being of my family. No matter that the stove was a mess, the dishes were taking over the kitchen, and oregano was on the floor. This would be a wholesome dinner if it killed me. I smiled and tried to hum a happy tune while I washed the half dozen pots and pans.
Then I read the nutrition info at the bottom of the recipe. I don't know what vitamins and nutrients are in this meal, because I didn't get past the calorie count. 895 calories. Per serving. The dish is supposed to serve 6, but I'm guessing it really serves 4 people, or 6 elves. 895. That's a whole lotta calories. Way more than I burned off cooking the damn thing. If I keep trying to be Betty Crocker/Martha Stewart, I'm going to end up on Oprah, as the fattest woman in the north!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Well, if you had asked, I could have saved you the trouble of cooking! Homemade does NOT mean low calorie!! Healthy maybe, but not non-fattening. Years of Downeast meals from my Mom & Grandma taught me that!! Forget those books that promise to turn traditional meals into diet-friendly ones too. The rule is simple - take out the fat and you take out the taste!! My homemade lasagna WITHOUT at least a pound of cheese simply isn't worth it.
Gotta have my daily cheese fix - rather walk a couple of hours a day to burn the calories than do without it.

JustLinda said...

Cooking? Really?

Were you out of breakfast cereal?

Prego said...

Wow. What'd you make? Fettuccini Alfredo? Actually, I think that dish has 895 calories per bite.

debby said...

895 calories.. it HAD to be delicious. maybe you should ME the leftovers just to be sure...

OldHorsetailSnake said...

No, heck, you could lose weight on that stuff. Just don't eat anything else all day.

tales north said...

i keep tring to lose weight, but it just keeps finding me. Hope all is going well - we are still trying to recover from hilodays! Talk to you later.