Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sister. Friend.

All my life, I've been fortunate to have fantastic friends. No, I wasn't the most popular girl. In fact, I was second from the bottom in high school. Only my best friend was less popular than me. Anyway.
In college, most of my good friends were guys. I've mentioned them before, here. Since then, I have learned to truly appreciate girl friends. I still love and adore my guy friends, but sometimes, you just need another woman to understand you. You know the kind of friend I mean. I call them Sister-friends. (Not to be confused with sister-wives, which I have learned about from watching Big Love.)
A sister-friend will tell you, honestly, if your hair looks like crap in the back. And then she will fix it for you, and you will trust her because you know she would never let you go out looking like a rat's nest.
When you are in the changing room, and you are trying so hard to find the right pair of pants, your sister friend will say "Those are okay.....but I think you can do better." She will find the right pair and bring them to you in the change room, and will not once point out that your ass is a size bigger than you thought.
Sister-friends are the ones you call when you hate your kids. Admit it, there are days like that. She will also send your child to time-out, or whatever your style is, and your kid will listen. When you bounce a cheque, and suddenly must decide between gas or coffee, your sister-friend has been there. She buys you coffee, and doesn't tell your husband.
She says you are gorgeous, and you believe her. She sends you messages that say nothing, but make your day.
Most importantly, when you are really miserable, sister-friend will ask the right questions, listen to what you say, and not judge. She will, whether she knows it or not, keep you from doing something really stupid.
Thank you to my sister-friends. You know who you are, and I appreciate having you in my life.

2 comments:

carmilevy said...

I think we all need to be surrounded by folks who we trust so implicitly to always have our best interests at heart.

Indeed, I've even gone so far as to deliberately avoid so-called "friends" who failed to meet these rather strict trust-based criteria. In the end, your gut knows who will be there for you and who won't.

Your post on this is a great, timely reminder. Thanks for that!

koreen (aka: winn) said...

So true... love how you stated it.