Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Love for the Girl Terror

I could be crazy, but I think the sunlamp is working! I feel....awake. I have energy. I have even been somewhat cheery! Scary business.
Girl Terror's report card came home today. I gotta tell you, I have no idea who came up with these report cards. They say pretty much nothing. Lots of words, several pages, but nothing concrete. I have no idea if she can read, write, or do math. Okay, I do know, but not from the report card. I DO know she is "satisfactory" is just about everything. She plays well with others. She follows directions.
I don't know if it's because I'm a mom, or if it's because I'm a teacher, but I want the school to know more about her than they obviously see. I want to call her teacher and say "Hey. Did you know this kid watches "Planet Earth" for fun? She thinks nature documentaries are the best? Has she mentioned that she is going to be an archeologist, possibly with a specialization in paleontology? No? I didn't think so.
I would like to tape her at home, so her teacher knows how bright and chatty she can be. Her dance lessons crack me up (a room full of teeny ballerina's bouncing around on their toes) like nothing else. Piano practice makes my heart swell. And let's not even start with the recital!!
With 22 students in the room, I recognize that Teacher might not know each one's little soul. I don't blame her one bit for using formulaic report cards. Hell, I hand out the same comments so much, I have the numbers memorized. But I still want her to know just how special this little person is, and to treasure her as much as I do.

No comments: