Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History

After school today I was driving Girl Terror home, and listening to the news on the radio. Remembering that a while back she was interested in elections and voting, I told her that a new president started his job today in the USA. We talked a bit about what the job entails, and how the entire country had to vote and choose the person they felt would do the best. Suddenly I realized.....my children have no idea what racism is. They have never seen or experienced discrimination. So I told Girl Terror that not only is Obama the new president, but he is very special for another reason. Without going into a lot of details, I told her that not so long ago, people who looked different were treated very badly. Black students, like her friend Benjy, were not allowed in schools with white children. Black people could not eat in the same restaurants. Buses were only for white people. People felt that because they were white, they were better. Smarter. Worth more.
Her first reaction? She didn't believe me. She told me I was being silly. She could not believe that people could treat each other so poorly. Her second comment? "That is SO unfair!" I explained that this is why we are so excited about Obama, and why he is so very special to the USA, and how this would be a day written about in history.
I think she summed up most Canadians feelings today when she said "I am so proud of him!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the same realization, my kids had no idea the unique and historic moments that just happened!