Friday, March 12, 2010

Moving up the ladder

I was given the opportunity to fill in for the Vice Principal at work recently, and it was a learning experience. Turns out, I AM a nasty bitch! Who knew?! Thanks, Smoking Student, for pointing that out to me. Also, thank you for the directions "Go back to the pasture with the other cows" because really, I had no idea what else I should be doing.
Being an administrator is a lot like being a teacher, except without the good parts. You don't get to talk endlessly to a captive audience. Instead, you do crowd control. Rather than having fun conversations with happy students, you get to have exchanges like the one mentioned above. (My part in all that was to ask the smokers to come inside the building and go to class, now that the bell had gone. Just in case you were wondering what exactly I did to be called such creative names.) On the up side, I was able to go pee whenever I wanted, which is a fantastic perk.
I'm not sure I'd want to be in an office full-time. I like teaching. I like being in my classroom, doing what I love. I really enjoy spending time with most of my students, and I would get tired of being the Big Meanie pretty fast. But for a day every now and then, it's a nice change. And my bladder appreciates the break.

4 comments:

Carole said...

That's hilarious. Reminds me of when I subbed at your school and one student was convinced I had something against him, until I asked him where he's SUPPOSED to be right now, and yesterday afternoon when I was on him, and the time before that. He gave me a sheepish grin. Oh, and same student was upset when I turned off the ghetto blaster that was playing Rolling Stones music during art class because he wasn't actually working, and that was the deal: you can listen to your music as long as your working. Awe, poor thing, he really thought I hated the Rolling Stones.
Another two students kept being sent back to class during the week I worked in your library; they were in the computer area when they should've been in class. Funny coincidence how I ended up teaching at the same school they transferred to and they, of course, remembered the library episodes, and said how mean I was (not quite their words). Again, "...and, where were you supposed to be?...Yeah, I thought so."

Mrs. Falkenberg said...

Carole, we miss you!! That student from art class has "graduated" and the building is a much quieter place.

Carole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carole said...

It's neat to meet students after they've moved on from school. I find that they are very changed, grown up, matured, for the most part. I guess sometimes they just need a taste of the real world to come to certain realizations, as we all did.

As for your school, I have to admit, I do miss it too. Despite the challenges associated with subbing, I liked working there.